Weight Loss Pills
The U.S. FDA has approved another new diet pill called Qsymia after just approving Belviq in June. It’s interesting that after 10 years of no new diet pills, two of them are released almost back to back.
The question is whether or not those looking to lose weight should be happy or worried about these new drugs. Here are a few things that you should know before talking to your doctor.
7 things about Qsymia:
1. Data released by the manufacturers of Qsymia (Vivus) state that it can help obese patients lose up to 10% of their body weight and they also mention the requirement for proper diet and exercise.
2. Despite its approval by the FDA, there are some real concerns about this new diet pill when it comes to dangerous side effects that impact the heart, potential birth defects, brain fogginess, and other issues.
3. Some doctors are concerned that pills like Qsymia and Belviq only perpetuate the myth of a “quick fix” to being overweight while the real solution is much deeper than taking a pill.
4. Qsymia is actually a combination of the stimulant drug phentermine that is used to suppress the appetite and a drug called topiramate that is designed for epilepsy patients and migraines.
5. Qsymia vs Belviq…Qsymia makers claim that their product helps to eliminate 10% of body weight as mentioned earlier whereas Belviq claims a 4% reduction.
6. As part of the approval process, the FDA is requiring the company that makes Qsymia to provide doctors with detailed information on the risks and dangers of the product.
7. Patients have been shown to regain weight once they stop taking Qsymia so long term use may be required.
If you are thinking about whether or not you should buy Qsymia or any other weight loss drug, you definitely need to be diligent in doing your own research and checking out the physical side effects.
The bottom line is that these types of pills are worth billions of dollars to companies that make them and safety often arises after the fact as many know from diet pills of the past.
Helpful Links About Qsymia and Vivus:
Note: You can advertise your weight loss product on BFC. Learn more…
The United States has approved the first major anti-obesity pill in over 10 years called Belviq. It is a long term weight loss product that is bound to cause a great deal of controversy.
It has been years since previous tries at prescription type weight loss resulted in heart attacks and other serious medical complications for the users.
It was reported that Belviq only achieved modest weight loss results during clinical trials but that seldom stops powerful lobbyists from pushing drugs through the FDA process. It is often a case of a “let’s test it on the public” mentality and that is basically what happened with proclaimed solutions like Fen-Phen and Ephedra.
It’s only after these companies make billions of dollars that the real studies are completed and unfortunately they can come too late for many.
There is absolutely no doubt that the Belviq pill will make a small fortune in record time. However, there is genuine doubt as to its effectiveness and efficacy.