That piece of equipment, the rowing machine, that no one ever used in the gym is starting to make a comeback. With rowing classes and personal training focusing on this oldie but goodie, fitness enthusiasts are starting to take a second look at the full body wonder.
Exercise physiologist Cedrc Bryant said in a recent New York Times article…
“Indoor rowing is a great, total-body conditioner that burns a significant number of calories and targets many of the key muscles of the upper body, lower body and core”
One marathon runner who has been using rowing to boost her times said,
“Since I incorporated rowing into my training, I have cut an hour off my marathon time. I can jump on the rower for just 30 minutes and get a really good full-body workout.”
You can read more about how to incorporate rowing into your routine at the New York Times.
The Suunto T6c Triathlon Pack gives you accurate speed, distances and altitude for running and cycling and cadence for cycling. The pack includes the Suunto t6c in black, Foot POD, Road Bike POD, Cadence POD and Memory Belt which records heart rate while swimming.
It is like having an entire exercise science training laboratory following your every step, climb, and stroke! At the end of your workouts, get a complete analysis so you know everything you did, where you can improve, and where you can gain that little bit of extra edge you need. Basically, the Suunto t6c is like a heart rate monitor on steroids and I want one!
So you are ready to get the home gym set up and you want to know the best exercise equipment for home fitness? Rainy days, crowded gyms, save on gas…whatever your reasons…we do better with our fitness when we have more options that make exercising easier to do. So here it is from BurnFatClub.com, the Seven Best List that will get you the results you are looking for when you want to workout at home.
7) Anti-Burst Exercise Ball There are so many different exercises you can do with a simple exercise ball, from elevated planks, to crunches and even to boxing (have partner hold ball and wail away at it). For the money, it’s pretty versatile and a must have for every home gym. The link features some that offer FREE FedEx shipping and a low price.
6) Resistance Bands Resistance bands put the power of gym weight machines into stretchy rubber bands. Replicate bicep curls, leg lifts, thigh work and chest presses. While not perfect, they pack a decent resistance workout into a small amount of money.
5) Adjustable Dumbbell Set For when resistance bands don’t quite cut it, the dumbbell set is there as your back up. You can add them to cardio work for extra weight. And truly, nothing beats a standard bench press (or ottoman press or exercise ball press) than good, old fashioned dumbbells.
4) Kettlebells These Russian kettlebells are an old piece of equipment that have been gaining in popularity recently. The great thing about kettlebells is to lift them requires the use of your whole body. So different from dumbbells, you have to use your arms, legs and core to lift it resulting in a better overall body workout. The link again features some that offer free shipping, important when you are ordering something so heavy!
3) Bosu. This is a newer piece of equipment as well and has been made popular by shows like “The Biggest Loser”. It’s basically half of an exercise ball with a flat plastic piece on one side. The Bosu is wonderful for balance work. You can place the rounded side down on the ground and then stand on the flat part. Grab your dumbbells and start doing some curls. You will have to use your core for balance so it adds something to standard exercises you are already doing. One thing I have seen them do on Biggest Loser (which I haven’t tried yet) is to place the Bosu on a small step up stool (plyo box) with the flat side down. Then they jump up with both feet onto the rounded ball side, all while engaging their full body to propel them up and core muscles for balance. Fantastic. I have seen these at Target for about $119.
2) Everlast Heavy Bag The heavy bag can be used for so much more than just hitting (which is great in itself). Grab a partner and do overhead lifts, lie on your back with your legs over it for crunches, tie a rope to it and pull it for resistance work. There are many options for a heavy bag which makes it optimal for a home gym.
1) Jump Rope. Not a flimsy one like you had in middle school, but a real, professional jump rope. I prefer the plastic types because they are better for speed work, but there are weighted and leather ropes as well. You just can’t get a better cardio workout for under $10. You will improve your conditioning, speed, and agility all with a rope skipping routine you do on a regular basis.
Now that you know the best exercise equipment for home fitness, you can go out and get your home gym ready for some major workouts.
We are loving this cheap, mini elliptical trainer for exercise at the office or while watching TV. Great on the joints so it’s a good piece of equipment to start out with until you can move up to treadmills or stair steppers. At under $150 (Use coupon Code BIG3 at checkout for 3% off!), it’s affordable and you can use it every day. Now there really is no excuse for not moving while talking on the phone at work.
Mini Elliptical Trainer for Exercise at the Office
1. Trade your office chair for a fitness ball. Having to try to constantly balance yourself (it’s not THAT hard) will help you get your core muscles in shape. Also, you are in the perfect position to lie back anytime and do a few crunches here and there. Once the fat from your belly is gone, it will reveal the hot, toned abs underneath.
2. Stand up as often as you can. We all know about the spread that happens to our butts from too much sitting, so avoid that with standing, stretching, marching in place, anything you can think of to keep moving. Maybe you can even raise your keyboard if you work on a computer or get a headset to talk on the phone.
3. Keep equipment like weights, kettle balls and Stretch Bands nearby. You have lots of time to sneak in a quick exercise or two and it will probably make you MORE productive at work. Use the activity to keep you out of that 3:00 crash that always happens. Instead of your forehead hitting the desk at 3:00, grab the bands and do some quick stretches to revive your body, and mind.
With these few exercises for the office that can help you burn fat at work, you will be surprised how quickly a little activity can make a big difference.